Celebrating a Season of our Deep Content
Harborside Shakespeare Company has experienced remarkable and growth and success in our first 3 years. Since 2012, we have:
- Moved from a startup to stability, completing our 2014 season with a budget surplus
- Won a $2,000 grant from the Maine Community Foundation and secured gifts from over 150 donors.
- Produced 3 acclaimed major plays: Romeo and Juliet, Midsummer Night’s Dream and Hamlet
- Successfully engaged the community through holding more than 10 Open Mic Nights;
- Performed in 7 downtown Bar Harbor Art Walks
- Held 8 Shakespearian Vignette Dinners
- Established a continuing partnership with Camp Beech Cliff around performance training for youngsters
- Reached beyond College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor to establish relationships with venues such as the Neighborhood House in Northeast Harbor, Schoodic Arts for All in Winter Harbor, The Grand in Ellsworth and Mayo Street Arts Center in Portland
After three years of high energy commitment, we feel it is time for a programming transition year, to evaluate what we have been able to deliver and develop new approaches based on the successes and lessons of our start-up years. We also want to invest in the development and growth of our Company’s principals, Dan and Alicia, by rewarding their achievements with sabbaticals, Dan in New York City and Alicia in Chicago.
While this means that we will not have a major performance in 2015, we will continue to foster community engagement, including Open Mic Nights with the Jesup Memorial Library, and the ongoing introduction of young people to the wonders of Shakespeare and the joy of performing through summer workshops.
Our visibility will change for a year, but our commitment to our mission is stronger than ever.
To help celebrate the successful first phase of development of HSC, we will be inviting you to a Birthday Party for Shakespeare on April 23rd, 2015 @ 7pm at the Jesup Memorial Library in downtown Bar Harbor. This celebration with feature our first Open Mic Night of 2015, treats and goodies, and the opportunity to perform from Shakespeare’s canon. We hope to see you there!
The Harborside Shakespeare Company is thrilled to announce that we have received a $2,000 grant from the Maine Community Foundation to support our 2014 Summer Tour of Hamlet! Please join us in thanking the Maine Community Foundation for their generosity!
Harborside Shakespeare's Event Performance Packages
If you are looking to create an unforgettable celebration, whether for a party, company events, or other occasions, consider making Harborside Shakespeare Company part of your plans!
Our talented group of local actors will bring theatrical flair to your party and strengthen the arts in your community. Harborside Shakespeare (HSC) will customize a performance for your event, venue and audience.
The basic package with two scenes begins at $300. Price depends on the number of activities and scenes performed, and your catering choices.
Our package includes...
Elizabethan Fare and Food
Weaving a taste of the Elizabethan world into the evening, HSC can provide a variety of catering options, from rustic fig tart to roast suckling pig, washed down with Maine mead.
Selected Scenes and Games
After a round of theatre games with the guests, we will perform two scenes from Shakespeare’s canon. Scenes will be tailored to each specific event and location, bringing our performance to you.
Discussions and Conversations
Post-performance, cast and crew members will be available for a “talk back” where the audience may ask questions about the characters, rehearsing and more, creating a lively conversation for all!
Personalized events can also include handmade calligraphy placecards and catering options. For more information, please give us a call at (207) 939 - 6929, or email us at email@example.com.